Southport 2 Hereford 0

Southport put an end to Hereford’s impressive winning streak.

A wet and windy afternoon in Southport saw Archer and Woods put Southport 2-0 up and secure another three points as they continue to climb the table. Both sides had multiple chances throughout the game, but the hosts proved more clinical and were able to capitalise on mistakes.

The first big chance at Haig Avenue came 14 minutes in. Hereford just managed to keep the game goalless as Southport had three attempts from inside the box. An off the line clearance and a save from Brandon Hall were required. It was Southport’s Josh Hmani’s efforts from inside the box that caused the last ditch defending. The third attempt was eventually struck wide, the hosts would have felt unlucky to not be leading.

The next big chance fell to Hereford, the visitors’ Ryan McLean was able to pluck the ball from Oliver and he darted towards the by-line. But his cut back didn’t find a teammate and was dealt with well.

The last touch of the first half was a Jordan Archer header that rattled the crossbar after a lovely cross was lofted in towards him from the right.

Hereford started the second half well, applying pressure to the Sandgrounders around their box. A few crosses were whipped into the right areas but failed to find anyone and cause trouble. Their third attempt was met but dealt with well by Cameron Mason and his defence.

The hosts responded well just minutes later as Jordan Archer put them ahead. The keeper could only parry Adam Anson’s’ low driven shot and the number nine was in the right place to tap in the rebound, just seven minutes into the second half.

77 minutes in, Woods picked up the ball out on the right wing, beat his man and burst into Hereford’s box. He opted for the near post finish, but the ball only found the side netting.

The 83rd minute saw a big chance for Hereford to equalise. Substitute Miles Storey started a counterattack, he then played it across to fellow sub Zeli Ismail, who blasted the ball over.

Marcus Carver chased down a backwards pass which led to a tangle of legs and the keeper couldn’t get hold of the ball. Woods was able to get in under control, round Hall and slot it into an open net, putting Southport 2-0 up and that was how it finished.

No subs used.

Att 851

Match Report by Dan Hickey one of the students we are supporting at the club on a matchday

Southport Brewery Sponsored Man Of The Match Chosen By Match Sponsors Simplify was Connor Woods.

League Table

View Full League Table