Southport 1 Leamington 1 Match Report

Report By James Houghton

It was heartbreak for Southport as a late Dan Turner penalty meant Leamington secured a 1-1 draw at Haig Avenue.

Leamington had the first real chance of the evening after a quarter of an hour as Jack Lane managed to get a shot away after a scramble of legs inside the Southport box but Anson was able to throw out a leg and deflect it behind.

Dylan Vassallo whipped a free-kick just wide of the post not long after, as Southport had their first chance to take the lead.

Leamington thought they had taken the lead in the 35th minute as Junior English poked into Mason’s net only to be denied by the linesman’s flag.

That near miss seemed to spring the Yellows into life as Josh Hmami saw a corner almost go straight in off the far post only for it to be cleared off the line. Jack Bainbridge followed in on the rebound, rattling the crossbar from 12-yards out.

Then two minutes later Port crafted another golden chance as Vassallo drove a low cross across the six yard box, flicked on at the near post by Jordan Archer, it bounced up delightfully for Tyler Walton to hit on the volley, but the attacker miscued his strike, allowing Leamington to clear.

Five minutes later, and on the stroke of half-time, Southport would find the opening goal. Doug Tharme leaping to meet a Dylan Vassallo corner with tremendous power, heading home and leaving Leamington goalkeeper Jake Weaver with no chance.

After late drama in the first period, it was a slow start to the second half, taking up to the 63rd minute before either side created any chances. That opportunity fell to Southport as Niall Watson cut in from the left wing curling a shot towards the back post that looked destined to settle in the net, but for the fingertips of Weaver sending it behind for a corner.

With ten minutes to go Southport rattled the woodwork as Doug Tharme’s cross was met by Chris Doyle at the back post only to see his effort rattle the post.

Southport had the perfect opportunity to wrap the game up in the dying moments as Tyler Walton put himself on the line to win a 50/50, launching a 3-on-2 counter attack featuring McGowan, Hmami and Bainbridge, the latter smashing the ball wide at the end of the move.

But if Southport benefitted from the late drama in the first half, they were made to pay in the dying embers of the second. Charlie Oliver fluffed a routine clearance, being dispossessed after trying to chest the ball down, allowing Leamington to launch a counter-attack resulting in Devon Kelly-Evans being brought down in the box.

Dan Turner stepped up and dispatched the penalty, sending Mason the wrong way, and sending the 23 visiting fans home happy.

Attendance: 779 (23 away)


Southport: Mason, Oliver, Anson ©, Tharme, Archer, Walton, Doyle, Hmami (Carberry 90+3’), Vassallo, Watson (McGowan 68’), Bainbridge

Unused subs: Benjamin, McMillan, Corrigan,

Leamington: Weaver, Meredith, Bushaj, Clarke, Mace, Lane, Taylor (Kelly-Evans 65’), Gittings, English (Turner 84’), Parker (Edwards 79’), Williams

Unused subs: , Morley, Hawkins


League Table

View Full League Table