Southport 1 AFC Fylde 2

Report By Matty Hurst

Southport drop points in back to back games following a late penalty to snatch all three points for the visitors.

The game started off with a flash of chances for both sides with the biggest chance falling to Heath whose header was too central following a run from Woods who eventually found him in the centre of the box. Woods then had a chance of his own in the 18th minute forcing Neal into a good save down to his left hand side.

The chance of the half came in the 36th minute as Southport’s free kick fell in a dangerous area to Heath who had the whole goal to aim at but Whitmore just got back to block the effort. The break finally came in stoppage time but for the visitors who after having a chance cleared off the line moments before then had another scramble which ended with McMillan on the floor giving Conlan an empty goal to break the deadlock.

Southport went in at half time 1-0 down with a few improvements needed at both ends and the second half in a much better manner than it ended with the only thing stopping a Port equaliser being the clinical finish required following a few tame attempts at the end of some good passages of play.

Eventually the finish came in the 70th minute when Charlie Oliver tries his luck from distance and after a little deflection from Substitute Weston it leaves Neal unsighted going in off the post.

As the game went on the chances increased and so did the quality with a golden opportunity at both ends, the first coming to Rowley who cut inside and seemingly had all the goal to aim at but his finish went wide of the right post and then Ports chance in the 83rd minute came through a poor back pass by Obi playing in Archer who couldn’t finish the subsequent 1 on 1.

The game was settled in the worst possible way, by a penalty when Barrett went down under little contact and outside the area but the referee saw it differently and Haughton stepped up and finished from the spot to win the game for the away side.

Southport now turn their attention to Boston United on Tuesday night for the second of three consecutive home games in a week.

Line Ups :

Southport: McMillan, Oliver, C.Doyle, Anson (C), J.Doyle, Carberry (Watson 64′), Bainbridge, Hmami, Woods, Heath (Walton 81′), Archer

Subs: Goudie, Munro, Miles

AFC Fylde: Neal, Obi, Whitmore(C), Philliskirk, Haughton, Faal, Conlan, Barrett, Charman (Whitehead 85′), Hatfield (Weston 66′), Bird (Rowley 66′)

Subs: Morrison, Burke

Goals: Conlan (45+2), Oliver (70′), Haughton (Pen 90′)

Cards: Hatfield (54), McMillan (78′)

Attendance 1333

The Southport Brewery Man Of The Match receiving The Adam Le Roi Trophy was Adam Anson.

League Table

View Full League Table