REPORT | Under 18’s Friendly







While the Southport first team were winning at Nelson on Saturday, the club’s Under 18 team had a friendly of their own as they made the trip to Oswestry, Shropshire to play North West Counties League Division 1 South side St Martins at a sunny Park Hall Stadium.

However, the Under 18s were unable to match the first team’s result as they drew 0-0 after 90 minutes before losing 4-5 on penalties in the Derek Stokes Memorial Trophy.

The trophy is named in memory of Derek Stokes, a great stalwart of St Martins FC who first played for the club aged 14 and performed numerous roles while serving the club with great distinction for over 60 years, before sadly passing away in January 2017.

Saints went into the game on the back of a 0-2 home friendly defeat by Altrincham Reserves earlier in the week, which had taken their winless pre-season run to 7 games.

The first serious chance of note came Saints’ way just into the 19th minute when David Forde’s short corner from the right was returned to him by Nathan Saunders and Forde cut into the right of the box before eventually having his low right foot angled drive from 12 yards deflected past Southport keeper Ethan Connell’s right hand post for a corner.

Just 62 seconds later at the other end, Southport’s Koby Gregory dispossessed Saints captain James Durman some 35 yards out in a central position and ran forward before firing his right foot shot from about 18 yards into the side netting at Saints keeper Joao Mendes’ left hand post.

Southport made their first change right at the end of the 23rd minute when Ed Harrison came on to replace Seb Gregory before the visitors made another change in the 28th minute when Adam Wood came on to replace Harvey Moulding-Lee.

Saints went close to breaking the deadlock just before the end of the 34th minute when George Woodburn’s long ball down the right found the on-running Forde, who ran towards the byeline before having his deep cross past the far post headed back by Jordan Harper to the in-running Ryan Malone, who fired his right foot shot from 18 yards not far wide of Connell’s left hand post.

Southport made their third change in the 36th minute when Harry Cass came on to replace Owen Sewell before Saints made their first change in the 42nd minute when Harry Murray came in to replace Harper.

Southport made a change in the 52nd minute when Sonny Cox came on to replace Koby Gregory.

The first chance of note in the second half came Southport’s way exactly 60 seconds later (in the 53rd minute) when a long ball over the top down the left found Cox, who outran the defence on his way into the box and beat his man before having his left foot shot from 10 yards blocked by Mendes at his right hand post for a corner.

Southport made a change in the 55th minute when Alfie Mossman came on to replace Alfie Higham.

Saints made a change deep into the 62nd minute when Joe Salter came on to replace Mohammad Redaoui.

Southport made a double change just before the end of the 62nd minute when Seb Gregory came back on to replace Harrison and Higham came back on to replace Mossman.

The visitors made another change just into the 67th minute when Moulding-Lee came back on to replace Eddie Servuts.

Saints made a change deep into the 76th minute when Jacob Stretch came on to replace Abdul Maxwell before Southport made a change deep into the 77th minute when Servuts came back on to replace Cass.

Soon after that, Southport’s Paul Jewell sustained an ankle injury in midfield and after several minutes of treatment, he was stretchered off and replaced in the 83rd minute by Koby Gregory.

A great chance to break the deadlock came Saints’ way just into the 86th minute when Salter’s cross from the left to the far post found the unmarked Malone, who took a touch to control and another touch before having his fierce right foot shot from 10 yards brilliantly tipped away to his right by Connell for a corner.

The resulting flag kick from the left by Saunders to the far post found Durman, whose header from 4 yards hit the bar before the ball was cleared.

Southport made a change a few seconds into the 89th minute when Cass came back on to replace Seb Gregory.

Then with 8 minutes 40 seconds of added time at the end, Saints went close to a dramatic late winner when Malone’s right foot shot from 12 yards on the right was saved to his left by Connell for a corner.

The final blast of referee Roger Firmstone’s whistle after an eventual total of 10 minutes 10 seconds of added time meant that with the scoresheet still blank, it went straight to a penalty shoot-out to decide the winners.

Southport went first with Servuts putting the visitors 1-0 up and after Saunders levelled for Saints, captain Joe Robertson scored his kick to put Southport 2-1 up.

Richard Chamberlain scored his kick to level it at 2-2 and after Southport’s Cox sent his kick high and wide, Salter scored his kick to put Saints 3-2 up.

Moulding-Lee scored his kick to level at 3-3 and after Durman scored his kick to put Saints 4-3 up, Koby Gregory scored Southport’s final kick of their regulation 5 penalties to level it at 4-4.

That left Harry Murray to score Saints’ final kick to win it for the hosts to condemn Southport to defeat and ensure the trophy stayed in Shropshire.

Minutes later, losing captain Robertson presented the trophy to Saints captain James Durman.

It had been a thoroughly entertaining game which saw both sides put in a good performance, with Southport’s young team giving a particularly good account of themselves.

Saints: Joao Mendes, George Woodburn, Mohammad Redaoui, Ryan Mondiwa, James Durman, Abdul Maxwell, David Forde, Richard Chamberlain, Jordan Harper, Nathan Saunders, Ryan Malone.

Subs: Harry Murray (for Harper 42), Joe Salter (for Redaoui 62), Jacob Stretch (for Maxwell 76), Dan Harrington (not used), George Austin (GK) (not used).

Southport: Ethan Connell, Alfie Higham, Ben White, Paul Jewell, Alex McNally, Owen Sewell, Eddie Servuts, Joe Robertson, Seb Gregory, Koby Gregory, Harvey Moulding-Lee.  Subs: Ed Harrison (for Seb Gregory 23), Adam Wood (for Moulding-Lee 28), Harry Cass (for Sewell 36), Sonny Cox (for Koby Gregory 52), Alfie Mossman (for Higham 55), Seb Gregory (for Harrison 62), Alfie Higham (for Mossman 62), Harvey Moulding-Lee (for Servuts 67), Eddie Servuts (for Cass 77), Koby Gregory (for Jewell 83), Harry Cass (for Seb Gregory 89).

League Table

View Full League Table