REPORT | Trophy Exit

Southport’s Buildbase FA Trophy run is over following a 4-1 defeat to Fylde at a windy Mill Farm.

Last year’s Vanarama National League play-off finalists proved too good for Liam Watson’s side, who’s bad run of form continues.

From the start, Jim Bentley’s Coasters looked dangerous on the break, as they punished the Port on numerous occasions, securing progress in the competition in the hope of retaining their crown.

Within six minutes of play, Flyde took the lead as Jordan Williams countered down the left-hand side, slotting the ball past Charlie Albinson into the bottom corner to make it 1-0.

Liam Watson’s side could only manage half chances in the opening quarter of the match as both David Morgan and Marcus Wood had shots blocked on the edge of the box.

Soon after the home side were 2-0 up, as Williams broke down the left once again; this time crossing the ball into Dan Bradley who just about tapped the ball past Albinson, who couldn’t stop the ball from crossing the line.

It was nearly three not so long after, but Southport just about survived, with the ball hitting the cross bar from point blank range.

With ten minutes remaining of the half, the Port began to find some energy and put the Coasters under pressure.

First, Zehn Mohammed came close with a header, which just looped over the cross bar; before Morgan tried his luck from distance, forcing  the keeper into a good save.

From the resulting corner, Southport made their chances count, as Jack Sampson rose up to head past Sam Hornby to make it 2-1.

The Port striker was nearly at it again, but his header this time was easily caught by the keeper.

Then in the 43rd minute, Fylde re-extended their lead, as Nick Haughton found space on the left side to slot past Albinson to make it 3-1.

Morgan had a chance to pull one back for Watson’s side, but pulled his effort just past the left post.

Early on in the second half, Albinson was forced into a save, as he punched away a free kick from close range that was caught in the strong winds on the Fylde coast.

Despite that, it wasn’t long until Jim Bentley’s side got their fourth, as Haughton shot hit the post and went in, as he bagged his second of the afternoon in the 54th minute.

Things got worse for Southport as Marcus Wood left the pitch injured in the 62nd minute, with Devarn Green later departing.

Fylde could’ve got another, but for an excellent double save by Albinson to deny the Coasters.

Southport had a few chances to get a consolation, with the best falling to Morgan in the box, forcing Hornby into a good save down to his left.

After a disappointing afternoon for the Port against higher league opposition, they will be looking for improvements as they return to league action next weekend.

AFC Fylde: Sam Hornby, Lewis Montrose (63’), Neill Byrne, Kyle Jameson, Alex Whitmore, Ryan Croasdale, Jordan Williams, Luke Burke, Dan Bradley (59’), Mark Yeates (74’), Nick Haughton.

Substitutes: Kurt Willoughby (59’), James Craigen.3 (63’), Andy Kellet (74).

Unused subs: Dan Lavercombe, Danny Rowe, Danny Philliskirk, Andy Taylor.

Goals: Williams (7’), Bradley (21’), Haughton (43,’ 54’),

Southport: Charlie Albinson, Zehn Mohammed, Reagan Ogle, Dean Winnard, Ryan Astles, David Morgan, Russell Benjamin, Marcus Wood (62’), Devarn Green (73’), Jack Sampson, Brad Bauress.

Substitutes: Charles Oliver (62’), Connor Woods (74’),

Unused subs: George Newell, Raul Correia, Dan Hanford, Andy Parry.

Goals: Sampson (39’)

Attendance: 907

League Table

View Full League Table