REPORT | Tight Tussle
Aug 6, 2019 147 Views

REPORT | Tight Tussle

Southport missed a number of opportunities as their first home game of the new campaign finished goalless against Curzon Ashton.

This was the Port’s second stalemate in the opening two games of the season, as they were unable to take their chances.

It was Southport who got off to the brighter start to the game, looking the more likely of the two in the opening ten minutes.

The first opportunity of the game was created by Dion Charles, who shot over Cameron Mason’s goal on the volley. David Morgan then tried his luck from distance, shooting wide of the target.

Liam Watson’s side then came even closer, as a slight deflection stopped Russell Benjamin’s shot on the edge of the box from creeping in.

Curzon managed to get their first shot away on the 15-minute mark, but Robert Evans fired over Dan Hanford’s goal as the score remained level.

Jack Sampson came the closest to breaking the deadlock in the first half, but his header was saved by Mason at the near post.

Heading into the final minutes before the break, the visitors began to liven up, with chances from a free kick and a corner both dealt with by the Southport defence.

The Port had one last chance of the half as Morgan saw his attempt in the box deflected over. From the resulting corner, Sampson was unable to find the target with his header.

Seven minutes into the second half Charles had a golden opportunity give the home team the lead, after a loose back pass from Mahamud Ali put him through one-on-one with the keeper.

Unfortunately, the striker failed to put the Port int front, taking one too many touches and allowing the keeper to win the ball.

Dan Hanford was called into action just after the hour mark, punching away a Michael Elstone cross with Evans firing over the rebound.

Down the other, Kieran Glynn, who had looked bright throughout the game, slotted Charles through on goal; only for the assistant’s flag to be raised for offside.

Not long after Glynn slotted the 23-year-old through again, but he was unable to get a shot past the defender from a tight angle.

Southport continued to have opportunities, as Charles had a shot blocked by the keeper who was quickly off his line.

The striker then fired over a shot in the box with only seven minutes to play and another 0-0 draw looking likely.

Both sides had chances late on from corners, with Winnard heading into the keeper’s arms whilst Evans couldn’t keep his attempt on target.

The Nash were unable to rediscover their goal scoring antics from the opening day whilst Southport are still looking for their first strike of the campaign but certainly had chances as the game.


Southport: Dan Hanford, Reagan Ogle, Jack Doyle, Dean Winnard, Ryan Astles, David Morgan, Kieran Glynn, Russell Benjamin, Dion Charles, Jack Sampson, Brad Bauress (65’).

Substitutes: Morgan Homson-Smith (65’), Raul Correia (74’), Connor Woods (79’)

Unused Subs:, Zehn Mohammed, Charlie Albinson

Curzon Ashton: Cameron Mason, Andrew Halls, Joshua Askew, Nicholas Wroe, Mohamud Ali, Oliver Thornley, Luke Merrill (78’), Robert Evans, Michael Elstone (82’), Liam Davies (78’), Luke Wall.

Substitutes: Isaac Sinclair (79’), Jack Banister (78’), Callum Saunders (82’)

Unused subs:, Daniel Shaw, Elliot Cooke

Referee: Dale Baines Assistants: Anthony Ball, Luis Griffiths

Attendance: 1,120

Written by Amos Wynn

Previous MATCHDAY LIVE | Southport v Curzon Ashton
Next REACTION | Watson After Curzon Ashton