REPORT | Special Win

A David Morgan penalty gave Southport a 1-0 victory over Brackley Town in Liam Watson’s 500th game as manager.

After the two sides went into the break level, Morgan stepped up just after an hour of play to convert the spot kick.

After walking out to a guard of honour prior to the game, Watson will be pleased to mark his milestone with three points.

The Port came close to opening the scoring after only four minutes, as Ryan Astles headed just wide from a Brad Bauress corner.

Moments later, the visitors had their first opportunity, as Carl Baker came close to scoring against his old team.

Both sides continued to create half chances, with Dean Winnard shooting into the keepers’ hands from a tight angle; before Astles put an attempt from outside the box wide of the target.

Raul Correia also came close to putting the Port in front, but his shot on the turn was tipped behind by Danny Lewis in the Saints’ goal.

Down the other end, Baker continued to cause the Southport defence problems, with some quick feet nearly creating an opening.

The visitors should’ve gone into the break leading, as Gareth Dean headed the ball against the crossbar from a corner, and none of his teammates able to get the ball over the line from the rebound.

In the second half, the struggle to get the opening goal continued between the two sides.

Southport seemed to come out fired up, as they took control of the match, putting the Brackley defence under pressure.

Just after the hour mark, Watson’s side were handed a golden opportunity, as Ellis Myles blatantly handled the ball in box to concede a penalty.

From the resulting spot kick, David Morgan stepped up and slotted it into the bottom left corner, sending the keeper the wrong way.

After announcing a new deal with the club before the game kicked off, it was the perfect way for midfielder to celebrate.

Down the other end, the visitors came close to pulling level, with Matt Lowe having two attempts stopped before Shane Byrne shot wide.

Morgan had an audacious attempt of doubling the Port lead, but his volley from distance floated wide of the target.

The Southport skipper came closer with his next attempt, with his low driving effort just wide of the left post.

In the final moments of the game Brackley had a key chance to equalise, but James Armson could only head over Glenn Walker’s cross.

Southport FC: Charles Albinson, Reagan Ogle, Andy Parry (45’), Dean Winnard, Ryan Astles, David Morgan, Devarn Green, Jack Doyle, Raul Correia (71’), Jack Sampson, Brad Bauress
Substitutes: Russell Benjamin (45’), George Newell (71’/ 85’), Connor Woods (85’)
Unused subs: Zehn Mohammed, Dan Hanford.

Brackley Town: Danny Lewis, Ellis Myles, Connor Franklin, Shane Byrne, Thierry Audel, Gareth Dean, Matt Lowe, Carl Baker, Lee Ndlovu, Luke Fairlamb (71’), Glenn Walker
Substitutes: Wes York (71’)
Unused subs: Dan Holman, James Armson, Kelvin Langmead, Tendai Daire

Attendance: 1047

Written by Amos Wynn

League Table

View Full League Table