REPORT | Points Shared

A superb first-half strike by David Morgan was not enough for Southport victory as they drew 1-1 against York City.

The midfielder struck after only eight minutes of play; before the Minstermen pulled one back just before half time at Bootham Crescent.

Despite having more of the ball in the second half, the Port were unable to grab a second goal.
After only three minutes of play, Southport had the ball in the back of the York net. Unfortunately, Ryan Astles’ goal was ruled out for an offside in the build-up.

The Port didn’t have to wait long until they were actually ahead, as Morgan caught the keeper off guard with an excellent strike from 25 yards out in the eighth minute.

Watson’s side nearly doubled their lead, as Jack Sampson played through Brad Bauress, who fired against Peter Jameson’s post.

The Minstermen did have chances of their own, putting the Port defence under pressure with numerous attacks.

First a Sean Newton hit a free-kick goal-wards, which was easily dealt with by Dan Hanford; before Adriano Moke’s attempt from distance sailed wide of the post.

Just before half time, York got their equaliser, as Hanford was unable to successfully collect the ball; leaving an open goal for Alex Kempster to slot into. The late action saw the two sides go into the break level at 1-1.

Ten minutes into the second half, Bauress came close to putting the Port back in front, forcing the keeper into a superb save, as he tipped over the bar.

Devarn Green, Russell Benjamin and Bauress all had speculative efforts from distance, with all three going well off target.

Morgan also tried his chances again, but this time it was an easy save for Jameson.

Southport did manage to get the ball in the back of net, but once again it did not stand after a foul on the keeper.

The Minstermen had their clear shooting opportunities restricted in the second 45, with Kempter shooting over in the 75th minute as he looked to grab a second of the afternoon.

Despite looking the more likely after the break, Watson’s side failed to breakdown the York resilience and came away from Bootham Crescent with a 1-1 draw.

York City: Peter Jameson, Kallum Griffiths (Nathan Dyer 84’), David Ferguson, Sean Newton, Harry Spratt, Joe Tait, Adriano Moke, Andy Bond, Maccaulay Langstaff (Wes York 65’), Kieran Green, Alex Kempster.
Unused subs: Charlie Jebson-King, Ryan Whitley.

Southport: Dan Hanford, Zehn Mohammed, Jack Doyle, Dean Winnard, Ryan Astles, David Morgan, Kieran Glynn (Andy Parry 89’), Russell Benjamin, Raul Correia, Jack Sampson (Devarn Green 45), Brad Bauress.
Unused subs: Connor Woods, Paddy Lacey, Charlie Albinson.
Yellow cards: Bauress (42’), Winnard (63’), Mohammed (85’)

Attendance: 2,748 (119 Southport)

Referee: Adam Herczeg

Written by Amos Wynn

League Table

View Full League Table