REPORT | Late Equaliser Sends FA Cup Tie To Replay

A late Marcus Carver equaliser earned Southport an Emirates FA Cup replay after a 2-2 draw against Chorley at Victory Park.

Liam Watson’s side were trailing 2-0 at the break but fought back to take the tie back to The Pure Stadium.

Connor Woods scored at the beginning of the second half, before Carver forced in an leveller towards the end.

The home side took the lead after only four minutes, with Connor Hall putting the ball past Cameron Mason after a good ball through.

Southport also had their opportunities of their own in front of goal, with two chances coming in quick succession.

First, a Jack Doyle cross hit the top of the bar with Matt Urwin beaten, before the ball came to Connor Woods, who hit it straight at the Magpies keeper.

Josh Hmami also came close, hitting a free kick just wide of the right post.

Just after the 20-minute mark a golden opportunity fell to Woods.

Hmami broke superbly down the right side, finding his teammate with a great pass into the box, unfortunately the Port attacker could not put the ball on target despite having the keeper at his mercy.

Despite looking on top, Watson’s side couldn’t capitalise, with a mistake gifting Chorley a second.

A mix up between Doug Tharme and Mason allowed Jacob Blyth to easily tap into an open goal just after the half hour mark.

The Port continued to push for a goal of their own, with a Bainbridge shot from the edge of the box going straight at the keeper.

In the second half, the visiting side didn’t have to wait long to pull one back.

The ball was played to Woods, who made no mistake this time, as he slotted past Urwin to make it 2-1.

Chances become scarcer after that, with sides needing to work hard to create clear opportunities.

Chorley couldn’t test Mason to extend their lead, whilst Southport came close through Adam Anson, with the centre back hitting a half volley wide.

They also came close through a couple of free kicks, with Urwin equal to Woods’ effort and Hmami’s sailing just wide of the target.

In the final moments of the game, Southport found an equaliser.

Woods crossed a ball from the right-hand side, with Carver bullying his way onto the end of it to score against his former club.

The late drama sends the tie to a replay at Haig Avenue on Tuesday as the game finished 2-2.

Chorley: Matt Urwin, Adam Henley, Scott Leather, Mike Calveley, Adam Blakeman, Willem Tomlinson (61’), Lewis Baines, Oliver Shenton, Billy Whitehouse, Jacob Blyth.

Substitutes: Nathan Okome (61’), Cian Spencer McDermott, Harry Scarborough, Liam Birchall, James Aspinall.

Goals: Hall (4’), Blyth (31’)

Yellow cards: Whitehouse (73’), Urwin (82’)

Southport FC: Cam Mason, Charlie Oliver, Jack Doyle, Adam Anson, Doug Tharme (78’), Connors Woods (89), Marcus Carver, Chris Doyle, Josh Hmami, Dylan Vassallo, Jack Bainbridge.

Substitutes: Charlie Munro (89), Isaac Buckley-Rickets, Tony McMillan, Niall Watson (78’).

Goals: Woods (48’), Carver (86’)

Report By Amos Wynn

Match Photos

Post Match Reaction

League Table

View Full League Table