REPORT | Home Run Ends

REPORT | Home Run Ends

Southport’s run of five straight home league wins came to an end as King’s Lynn Town overturned an early deficit to claim maximum points at the Pure Stadium.

Adam Marriott struck a sensational 19th goal of the season to earn the visitors a win which takes them to the top of the Vanarama National League North table.

Having taken the lead as early as the third minute, the Port will be disappointed to have finished the game without any points, but manager Liam Watson conceded that the visitors were the stronger team.

Devarn Green scored his third goal in four league games but despite a strong start, that wasn’t enough to give Southport platform to build.

Watson’s side were quick out of the traps, Green driving at the King’s Lynn defence from the right before rifling home a drive from 25 yards.

And the Port continued to press, David Morgan going close before goalkeeper Alex Street turned wide a free-kick from Brad Bauress.

The visitors created their first chance midway through the first half, Ryan Hawkins breaking through the Port defence, but he was foiled by a combination of Charlie Alibinson’s save and a goal-line block from Dean Winnard.

Once King’s Lynn settled, they caused numerous problems and drew level midway through the half with a fine goal of their own, Marriott cutting in from the right before curling home a peach of a strike.

By that stage, the visitors were playing the more progressive football, Marriott turning in the area before firing wide, while Albinson saved from Ryan Hawkins.

Just as they had done in the first half, Southport restarted the game after the break with intent, Raul Correia getting on the end of a throw-in from but the home team were unable to capitalise.

Instead, the visitors gained the ascendancy and they took the lead just before the hour, Chris Henderson turning the ball home at the far post from a Jordan Richards cross.

King’s Lynn showed their ability to produce some attractive play, moving the ball tidily and keeping possession with patience.

Southport should have equalised when Morgan drove into the area, picking out Jack Sampson, but his shot lacked the conviction to trouble goalkeeper Street.

And the home team then came within inches of an equaliser, Zehn Moammed striking the upright from a corner.

The Port continued to apply pressure until the end, substitute Connor Woods bringing another dimension from the bench but he was unable to unlock a King’s Lynn defence which maintained its discipline.

Marriott struck a post in stoppage time as the visitors claimed maximum points.


Southport: Albinson, Mhammed, Doyle, Winnard, Astles, Morgan, Green, Benjamin (Glynn 76), Correia (Oliver 60), Sampson, Bauress (Woods 60).
Subs not used: Hanford, Newell.

King’s Lynn Town: Street, Barrows, Fox, Kelly (Jones 82), Ward, McAuley, Clunan, Richards, Hawkins, Harriot, Henderson (Carey 86).
Subs not used: Bastock, Payne, Jarvis.

Referee: Tom Kirk

Attendance: 1,257

Previous INTERVIEW | Liam After King's Lynn
Next VIDEO | SFC Remembrance Day