REPORT | Hat-Trick Hero

REPORT | Hat-Trick Hero

A first-half hat-trick from George Newell and a strike by Marcus Carver after the break was enough for Port to get a fine 4-3 victory over higher-level opposition in Accrington Stanley.

Southport took the lead in the 3rd minute as George Newell beat the offside trap, taking the ball down on his chest before turning and side-footing the ball past the Accrington goalkeeper.

The hosts almost added a second in the 11th minute as David Morgan shot from outside of the box. His shot, seemingly going wide of the post, was picked up by a trialist who shot just wide of the post.

Marcus Carver then forced a save in the 16th minute as his header was tipped over the bar.

But Accrington would have an equaliser in the 19th minute as former Southport man Dion Charles slipped through Tom Allan who chipped the ball over the trialist in the Port net.

The visitors would add a second goal one minute later as a low cross into the box was turned in by Ryan Cassidy inside the six-yard box.

Newell added his, and Southport’s, second goal of the evening in the 31st minute as he managed to get onto the end of a long-throw in, turning the ball into the bottom corner with a precise finish.

Port had the chance to retake the lead in the next minute as they turned defence into attack, Carver turning the ball on from a clearance, with Sampson running away from the defence but his shot was just wide.

Newell completed his hat-trick on 43 minutes as David Morgan’s free-kick from just outside the box rebounded to the striker who had an easy finish, stroking the ball into an empty net.

Port nearly added a fourth after the break, in the 53rd minute, as a clever one-two pass between Jack Sampson and Carver saw the latter get through one-on-one but his shot was palmed behind by the Accrington keeper.

But from the resultant corner, Southport would add their fourth, as a trialist made solid contact with his header, the ball ricocheting off the crossbar and landing at the feet of Marcus Carver who bundled the ball across the line to add his second in as many games.

The hosts didn’t take their foot off the gas though and almost had a fifth in the 63rd minute as Connor Woods beat two defenders before laying the ball off to Morgan, who’s shot from 25-yards went narrowly wide of the post.

However, it would be Accrington that would score next as a shot in the 66th minute was turned into the path of Harry Perritt who poked home the rebound to reduce the Yellows lead to one.

Port came close yet again on 84 minutes as a counter-attack was launched from a cleared corner and a slip by an Accrington defender allowed Connor Woods through on goal but his shot was high and wide.

Just three minutes later, Port had another opportunity as a long throw-in was spilled by Accrington’s goalkeeper into the path of Sampson, but his volley went just over the bar.

One minute later, Southport were almost left to rue their missed chances with a free header inside the box following an Accrington counter-attack but it went just wide of the post, much to the relief of the Southport defence.

After beating SkyBet League One opposition, the Port will be hoping to  maintain their level of performance against Championship opposition when Huddersfield Town are welcomed to the Pure Stadium on Saturday behind closed doors.

Written by James Houghton


Previous PORT LIFE (8) | Noel Warham
Next UPDATE | Ian Kyle