REPORT | First Win

Southport picked up their first three points of the campaign as they strolled to a 3-0 win over Guiseley on a blustery afternoon at the Pure Stadium.

Despite the inclement weather, it took just 50 seconds for the Yellows to add some sunshine to the home fans’ day, as Jack Sampson got the scoring underway, while summer signings Raul Correia and Kieran Glynn both scored and created a goal each.

After a long ball into the box in the opening stages, Guiseley could only clear as far as David Morgan on the edge of the penalty area. The captain chipped a ball into Correia who knocked the ball into the path of Sampson and his right-footed volley left goalkeeper George Sykes-Kenworthy rooted to the spot.

It only took 15 minutes for Southport to extend their lead and this time it fell to former Guiseley man Correia to finish the chance.

Glynn beat his marker on the right wing before firing in a low, driven ball across the goalmouth. Correia, making his first start for the Port, reacted quickest to it and with the lightest of touches flicked the ball beyond Sykes-Kenworthy as the home side solidified their lead.

Both sides then settled into the rhythm of the half as both sides struggled to break down strong defences.

Following the break Southport were attacking with the advantage of the strong wind and it took only six minutes for that fact to pay off as Guiseley struggled to clear their lines and the ball fell to Ryan Astles inside the Lions’ half.

The defender found Glynn on the left wing with plenty of space. The Salford City loanee cut inside before unleashing a right footed strike into the bottom left corner.

The day went from bad to worse for the away side as a late challenge from Jaime Spencer saw referee Ben Atkinson reach into his pocket and show Spencer his second yellow of the afternoon as Guiseley were reduced to ten men.

However, the Lions’ thought they had found their way back into the tie in the 72nd minute as Aaron Martin rose highest from a corner to head beyond Dan Hanford but the referee had already blown for a Southport free kick.

That decision seemed to take the wind out of a resurgent Guiseley’s sails as the visiting side struggled to create much danger beyond that.

With the result Southport became the last remaining team in the Vanarama National League North yet to concede a goal. The Port travel to Farsley Celtic on Tuesday night as they look to continue their undefeated start to the season.

Southport: Hanford, Mohammed, Ogle, Winnard, Astles, Morgan, Glynn (Woods 72), Lacey (Benjamin 82), Correia (Green 78), Sampson, Homson-Smith.
Subs not used: Albinson, Doyle.

Guiseley: Sykes-Kenworthy, McNally, Nicholson, Cantrill, Bencherif, Garner, Felix (Barkers 72), Spencer, Martin, Soleman, Johnson (Shaw 46).
Subs not used: Allison, Digie, Scrivens.

Attendance: 937

Referee: Ben Atkinson

Written by James Houghton

League Table

View Full League Table