REPORT | Goals Galore

Southport scored five goals for the second time in this season’s Emirates FA Cup to progress into the Fourth Round Qualifying in style.

The Port score four times in the second half against Farsley Celtic after Ben Atkinson’s own goal had given the visitors the lead at the interval.

It sealed Southport’s third win at the Cidadel in just over a year, having won comfortably in last season’s cup before collecting maximum points in the league in August.

The Port started well and were in control throughout, although the important second goal came on the back of the home team’s best period of the game.

Liam Watson’s side went ahead on 18 minutes, Atkinson heading a cross from Brad Bauress into his own goal.

Bauress had already been involved in the Port’s attacking play, delivering a free-kick from the right which Dean Winnard connected with at the near post but his effort was deflected over.

Once ahead, the visitors were always in command, Jack Sampson heading over from a Reagan Ogle throw-in before Ryan Astles did likewise from Devarn Green’s corner.

Farsley introduced Dave Syres from the bench at half-time, as well as moving defender Danny Ellis into attack, and initially it caused problems for the visitors.

Jimmy Spencer hit a bouncing ball which goalkeeper Charlie Albinson did well to hold, before Ellis cut the ball back to Syres, who shot over.

Yet the Port were always dangerous on the break and moments after David Mogan released Russell Benjamin, Sampson added the second with a strike from the edge of the box.

Soon it was three, Benjamin finishing off a slick break as Morgan released Green, who sent the midfielder through to score.

Green made it four with another quick-fire attack to finish off a pass from Morgan, who deservedly got into the scoresheet in the closing stages after substitute Connor Woods broke down the right before playing the ball inside.

Although the margin of victory was kind on Southport, it could have been more, as a shot from Bauress was blocked on the goal-line, before Woods and Sampson also went close.

The win puts the Port in the hat for the Fourth Round Qualifying on Monday lunchtime.

League Table

View Full League Table