REPORT | Encouraging Display

Southport’s pre-season winning run came to an end with 0-2 defeat against Barrow but there were again plenty of reasons for encouragement.

It was a promising 90 minutes against EFL opposition for Liam Watson’s side, who had their fair share of chances throughout the game.

In the end, goals from former Port defender, Matty Platt, and the 2019/20 Vanarama National League top scorer, Scott Quigley proved to be the difference as the Bluebirds returned to Cumbria with a victory.

It was the visitors had the first clear opportunity of the game, as Dior Angus curled a shot just wide of the left post.

Just after the 15-minute mark, David Dunn’s side came close again as one of their trialists hit the wall from a free-kick following a foul on Luke James on the edge of the area.

Despite more danger from the resulting corner the Port remained strong and did enough to clear the ball.

Chances continued to come Barrow’s way with James causing trouble again on the break but he dragged his effort off target.

As the half went on Southport had a few more opportunities towards Joel Dixon’s goal.

The best opportunity came on the half our mark with a free kick from Jack Doyle well stopped by the keeper following a foul on David Morgan just outside the box after some quick feet from the Port captain.

Not long after a golden opportunity presented itself to Southport.

With the keeper out of his goal following some good pressure from George Newell; the ball came back to Marcus Carver in space but he was unable to find the target and grab his fourth goal of pre-season.

More chances came the way of Liam Watson’s side came on the break but they couldn’t break the deadlock before half time.

Southport continued where they left off after the break with Carver firing straight at the keeper one minute after the restart.

Newell also had a chance but the Barrow defence got back to make a block.

They were left to rue some of their missed chances and it was the visitors who took the lead with former Port defender Matty Platt heading them ahead from a free kick to make it 1-0.

Southport continued to have chances to put themselves on the scoresheet.

Connor Woods had a tame effort which was straight at Dixon, whilst substitute Jack Sampson was able to produce a more vicious strike with his half volley from the edge of box proving more challenging for the keeper who pushed it wide for a corner.

With nine minutes remaining Woods came agonisingly close to levelling things as he struck a near-perfect free kick which the keeper was equal to with a fine one handed save.

Sampson came close again too but his effort took a slight deflection to take it wide of the left post.

In the final minute of the match Barrow secured their victory as Scott Quigley who scored 20 times in the Vanarama National League slotted past Dan Hanford.

Written by Amos Wynn



Vanarama Clips

League Table

View Full League Table