REPORT | Devarn’s Winner

Devarn Green struck in the second half as Southport returned to winning ways with three points at Gloucester City.

Green scored on 58 minutes to settle a tight contest, as the Port registered their first victory in the Vanarama National League North since December.

Liam Watson’s side built on their midweek win at Pilkington in the Liverpool Senior Cup and will now look to use this result as a springboard for the remaining 14 games.

Watson opted for a 4-5-1 formation, with the excellent Charlie Oliver given a holding midfield role alongside Russell Benjamin.

That gave the visitors the platform to grind out the win, also keeping their first clean sheet since the win in the reverse fixture at the Pure Stadium last month.

The only goal came as a throw-in from Jack Doyle was returned to the left-back. He swung in a cross, Ryan Astles sent the ball against the crossbar and from the resulting scramble, Green nudged it home.

Southport saw the result out with an air of control, although there were a number of anxious moments late on when the visitors applied pressure.

Quality and goalscoring chances were in short supply throughout, the clearest opening of the first half coming just before the interval as David Morgan played a cross in from the right. Zehn Mohammed exchanged passes with Jack Sampson but Brad Bauress could only shoot over.

Bauress had a chance in the early stages with a free-kick from 30 yards, while Green was unable to make the most of the space he created at the end of a counter-attack.

Ryan Astles and Dean Winnard also saw headers go wide from set-pieces.

Dan Hanford, on his return to the Port goal, made a good low save to deny Bernard Mensah on 30 minutes after a turn from Marlon Jackson.

A header from Astles was deflected wide for a corner early in the second half before Green pounced with the hour mark approaching.

Green was later denied by goalkeeper Zach Jeacock, while Oliver went close with a half-volley from distance.

The Port had to withstand late pressure from the home team, the ball scrambling around the area and another shot being placed over the bar, but Watson’s side were worthy of their win.


Gloucester City: Jeacock, Hamilton (Brunt 67), Senior (James 40), Pennell, Daly, Thomas, Maxwell, Allen, Jackson, McClure (Robert 61), Mensah.
Subs not used: Brunt, Kotwica, Maher.

Southport: Hanford, Mohammed, Doyle, Winnard, Astles, Morgan, Benjamin, Oliver, Green (Ogle 90), Sampson, Bauress.
Subs not used: Albinson, Woods, Newell, Correia.

Attendance: 334

Referee: Richard Holmes

League Table

View Full League Table