REPORT | Three Goals Again

REPORT | Three Goals Again

Southport continued their unbeaten start to the season as three first-half goals secured victory against Farsley Celtic at the Citadel.

Devarn Green was among some excellent performers in the Port team, as the winger both assisted one and scored one.

On the back of a 3-0 victory over Guiseley at the weekend, Liam Watson’s side continued where they left off as they consigned the Celt Army to their second defeat of the season.

Despite the heavy defeat, the home side did have their chances but failed to break through the defence.

Meanwhile, the Port were clinical up the other end and made the best of their opportunities.

Southport took the lead after only seven minutes of play, as David Morgan chipped the ball over the head of Elliot Wynne in the Farsley goal to open the scoring.

Despite falling behind early, the home side didn’t sit back and looked to grab an equaliser, with Paul Walker shooting wide from distance.

The Port had kept three clean sheets in their opening three games, prior to the match at the Citadel, and that defensive resilience was on display again as the back line fended off numerous attacks.

After providing the assist for the first goal, Green added his own name to the scoresheet just before the half hour mark, as he steered the ball into net from a rebound; after the keeper initially made a save from a shot from Morgan.

Farsley did have opportunities to pull one back, with Will Hayhurst having a shot deflected wide, whilst a goal line scramble somehow didn’t find its way into the Port goal.

There was no stopping Watson’s side in attack, as Correia grabbed his side’s third goal just before the break.

A Brad Bauress cross into the box was nicely taken by the striker on the half volley, to round off a solid opening 45 minutes.

Ten minutes after the break, the home side came close to pulling one back, as Jordan Richards fired a free kick from the edge of the box wide of the target.

The Celt Army continued to search for a goal, but the Port remained strong and averted any danger.

Hayhurst came the closest, as he rifled a shot straight at Hanford, with the keeper only able to palm the ball away.

Farsley’s next chance came from another free kick, but substitute Luke Parkin’s effort was not close to threatening the Port goal.

Jack Sampson nearly got a Port fourth, as the keeper saved with his fingertips after the striker had cut inside.

Meanwhile down the other end, Hanford clung onto his clean sheet making another save from Hayhurst.

Watson’s side managed one final opportunity to add to their lead, as a Connor Woods shot was deflected wide.

After opening the season with two 0-0 draws, Southport have found their scoring boots with back to back 3-0 wins.

Despite Farsley having more chances in the game, it was the Port who were able to take their opportunities to return from Yorkshire with three goals and three points.


Farsley Celtic: Elliot Wynne, Jordan Richards, Isaac Baldwin, Jack Higgins, Danny Ellis, Ben Atkinson, Tyler Walton, Chris Atkinson, Jimmy Spencer, Will Hayhurst, Paul Walker.
Substitutes: Dave Syers, Luke Parkin
Unused subs: Kyle Trenerry, Nathan Cartman, Kwame Boateng
Yellow Cards: Ellis (65’), Baldwin (72’), Higgins (81’)

Southport: Hanford, Mohammed, Doyle, Winnard, Astles, Morgan, Green, Benjamin, Correia, Sampson, Bauress.
Substitutes: Woods (75’), Lacey (83’), Homson-Smith (87’)
Unused subs: Albinson, Ogle.
Goals: Morgan (7’), Green (29’), Correia (43’)
Yellow Card: Morgan (55’)

Written by Amos Wynn

Previous MATCHDAY LIVE | Farsley Celtic v Southport
Next REACTION | Liam & David Morgan