PRE-SEASON | Results Round Up
Jul 15, 2019 1076 Views

PRE-SEASON | Results Round Up

We were on the road again on Wednesday with a trip to Bala and a first ever meeting of the two sides.

Southport came out on top with a 1-0 win, Brad Bauress getting the only goal of the game in the 23rd minute. The match was played on a 3G pitch and ended in heavy rain in front of a good contingent of Southport supporters who had made the 4 hour round trip down the winding roads of Wales.

Bala 0 Southport 1

Our third pre-season game was against a strong Fleetwood Under 23 side and resulted in a 3-0 win with goals from Paddy Lacey, Dion Charles and A Trialist.

Once again two goals came in quick succession in the 6th and 8th minutes. Fleetwood missed a penalty after a 70 minutes. Another good workout for the lads in warm conditions. Several trialists on show.

Fleetwood 0 Southport 3

The second Pre-Season game saw a comfortable 2-0 win at Widnes with Kieran Glynn and Brad Bauress on the scoresheet in the first half.

The Port opened the scoring in the 15th minute, Glynn scoring on his debut for the club. The midfielder found himself free in the box following a deft cross and headed comfortably past the Widnes goalkeeper into the bottom corner.

The lead was doubled just two minutes later as Jack Sampson controlled a long ball in the box before sliding the ball across the goal mouth for Bauress to tap in.

Southport were awarded a penalty midway through the half after the Widnes goalkeeper brought down an attacker after being rounded. The striker stepped up to take the chance and it took an impressive save to keep out Sampson’s effort.

The second half saw run outs for a number of trialists, plus first-teamers Morgan Homson-Smith and Dion Charles , with the latter producing the best chance of a sedated second period when he slid a low shot past the Widnes goalkeeper and just beyond the outside of the post.

Widnes 0 – 2 Southport
Written by James Houghton

Our first Pre-Season game took us to Christopher Park in Standish to face a Wigan Under 23 side and resulted in a 2-1 defeat having lead 1-0 at half time thanks to a Jack Sampson goal after 27 minutes.

It was a strong Southport line up in the first period with just two trialists on show and we took a well deserved lead into the break. Wholesale changes came at half time and two quick fire Wigan goals gave the home side the victory.

A game played in heavy rain at times on a perfect pitch and a good first game workout for the players.

Wigan U23s 2 – 1 Southport

Our next game is at Bala on Wednesday July 17th with a 7.45pm kick off and after this game we will be bringing you a post match podcast with Liam Watson.

Previous LIFE PRESIDENT | Sam Shrouder
Next UPDATE | Pitch & Home Friendlies