MATCH REPORT | Southport Secure 12th Senior Cup

MATCH REPORT | Southport Secure 12th Senior Cup

Devarn Green netted the crucial spot-kick in the penalty shoot-out which secured Southport their 12th Liverpool Senior Cup.

A tense goal-less draw after 90 minutes resulted in penalty kicks which saw the Sandgrounders come out on top 4-3.

Liam Watson’s side silenced the Cables fans, a side looking to make it three consecutive wins in the competition.

The packed out Volair Park saw kick-off delayed by 15 minutes for safety reasons but that didn’t stop both sets of fans being in full-voice.

After just 50 seconds, the reigning champions were almost in front. Luke Griffiths’ quick free-kick to Matthew Hamilton caught Southport off-guard, the home fans were in mid-celebration until Joshua Tibbetts brilliantly denied the certain goal scoring opportunity, diving to his left.

Despite the gap in the football pyramid, Brian Richardson’s side gave a brilliant account of themselves in the game and could’ve found themselves in front on a couple of occasions in the first half.

Tibbetts was called into action minutes later, Griffiths this time trying his luck from range but the former-Peterborough shot-stopper reacted well making a good diving save.

As the first half progressed, Port began to play their way into the game enjoying some pressure of their own.

Morgan Homson-Smith returned to his former club and looked to silence the intimidating atmosphere with his free-kick from a tight angle but Ollie Clayton was equal to the threat parrying clear the danger.

But arguably Southport’s best chance of the half, if not the game, fell to Dion Charles. After Homson-Smith was bundled over in a dangerous area, the Northern-Irish attacker took the opportunity to test Clayton from the free-kick.

Charles unleashed a right-footed effort over the wall, only to rattle the crossbar in what would’ve been a fantastic strike.

However, both teams went in at the break all square, as they returned, Cables were attacking a rocking Roadshow End in a bid to write their name in the history books.

The second half brought another tight affair with Southport starting brighter with Prescot threatening in stages.

Southport’s best chance came early into the second half, Wood spotted Charles’ run but as he looked to fire beyond Clayton, the goalkeeper made a decent reflex save from close range.

Morgan lifts the LCFA Senior Cup. © Julia Urwin

Prescot continued to press and came close on a number of occasions from set-pieces, their deliveries fizzed across the face of the Southport goal but red shirts failed to find a finish.

Aaron Jackson blew his whistle which meant the game would be decided on penalties.

Cables found themselves in a familiar situation progressing to the final, thanks to Ben Barnes save in their 2-2 Semi-Final with Widnes.

Charles, Ryan Astles and David Morgan were all on target for the Port with their well-taken penalties. However, Brad Bauress forced Clayton to make a save to his left as Andy Parry dragged his effort past the post.

Hamilton, James Edgar and Josef Faux all dispatched their efforts with Tibbetts coming close on two occasions.

Josh Klein-Davies forced Tibbetts into action, diving to his left with Griffiths dragging his penalty wide and in sudden death, Josh Lenehan stood up to take his penalty, only to see his effort cannon off the bar.

The deciding penalty fell to Devarn Green, he stepped up and brilliantly placed his effort into the top left corner despite Ollie Taylor guessing the correct way.

Prescot Cables: Taylor; Cooper Edgar McCulloch ©; Coyne, Conteh, Faux, Griffiths, Klein-Davies, Lenehan; Hamilton.

Subs not used: Dean, Fernandes, McNally, Turner, Wynne.

Bookings: ’31 McCulloch.

Southport: Tibbetts, Platt, Ogle, Winnard, Astles; Parry ©, Davies (65’ Green), Wood (58′ Morgan), Homson-Smith (80’ Bauress), Charles; Archer.

Subs not used: Hanford, Richards.

Bookings: 27’ Platt.

Previous MATCHDAY LIVE | Prescot Cables v Southport - Liverpool Senior Cup Final
Next SHIRT | Part Of The Fabric!