MATCH REPORT | Southport 5-3 Chorley
Feb 10, 2019 1183 Views

MATCH REPORT | Southport 5-3 Chorley

If proof were needed of the progress made by Southport since the season began, it came on Saturday in the most thrilling way possible.

No one of a Port persuasion will need a reminder of the way things fell apart when they last faced Chorley during the opening weeks, but six months on and 24 league games later, Liam Watson’s team showed precisely what a different proposition they are these days.

As the manager reflected afterwards, this was not just an opportunity for payback but the chance put things right for those supporters who were at Victory Park on that harrowing night in August, and how Southport took it.

Watson’s team converted a 4-0 deficit into a remarkable 5-3 win, Jack Sampson and Dion Charles both scoring twice on a goal-filled afternoon.

Southport struck four times during an electrifying first half in which they attacked with pace and vigour, displaying a clinical edge to their confident football. Chorley were not without chances of their own, as the scoreline indicates, but this was a decisive win for the home team and one which shows what they are capable of.

Chorley arrived at the Merseyrail Community Stadium as the leaders of the Vanarama National League North, winning all but one of their previous seven games and with only three goals conceded in six. Within the space of 90 minutes, that record was turned upside down.

The extent of the change at Southport is highlighted by the fact that only four players who started the game at Victory Park remained in the team here. One of those is Sampson, the star of the show, who is fast becoming the fulcrum of the Port team.

The striker put the home team on their way after 11 minutes and they did not look back. As Chorley failed to clear a free-kick which Charles sent into the area from the left, Sampson reacted quickest to head in the loose ball.

Soon it was two with a goal that underlined the quality of Southport’s attacking play. Jason Gilchrist did well to hold up the ball and release the excellent Devarn Green, who slid an angled finish across the dive of goalkeeper Matt Urwin and into the bottom left-hand corner.

The Port juggernaut kept on rolling, Charles extending the lead further with a cooly-struck penalty after Sampson had been tripped in the area by Scott Leather.

The visitors served a reminder of their capabilities when Alex Newby turned in a low cross from Elliot Newby but the respite for the visitors was only temporary.

Charles netted his second eight minutes before the interval when a superb individual goal, turning Leather on the edge of the area before firing in a low finish.

Josh O’Keefe pulled a goal back after the re-start by turning home a rebound but and although Chorley had chances, the home team remained in command.

Sampson made it five for Southport, converting a cross from Charles from close range before Alex Newby scored again late on as the home team triumphed on a breathless afternoon.


Southport (4-2-3-1): Hanford, Platt, Edwards, Astles, Ogle, Morgan, Wood, Charles (Archer 90), Gilchrist (Homson-Smith 81), Green (Richards 90), Sampson.
Subs not used: Tbbetts, Lacey.
Goals: Sampson 11, 90, Green 19, Charles 25 (pen), 37.

Chorley (3-5-2): Urwin, Teague, Leather (McGuirk 69), Meppan-Walter, Challoner, A Newby, O’Keefe, E Newby (Hopper 76), Blakeman, Carver, Wilson (Almond 64).
Subs not used: Cottrell, Jordan.
Goals: A Newby 29, 90+1, O’Keefe 58.

Attendance: 1,542

Referee: Dean Watson

Report by Alan Jones

Previous REACTION | Watson & Sampson After Chorley
Next PLAYER OF THE MONTH | Dan Hanford