MATCH REPORT | Southport 2-2 Curzon Ashton
Oct 31, 2018 1030 Views

MATCH REPORT | Southport 2-2 Curzon Ashton

Dion Charles equialised with ten minutes remaining to earn Southport a draw at home to Curzon Ashton.

The Sandgrounders had taken an early lead through captain David Morgan, only to concede twice in the space of six second-half minutes.

But Charles slid the ball home in the closing stages to ensure the spoils were shared although the home team were unable to find a winner.

Southport can certainly reflect on an improved performance from the weekend defeat against Blyth Spartans.

Again Liam Watson’s team started strongly, Morgan scoring on 14 minutes and the Sandgrounders created several chances.

The lead should have been greater by the time Curzon drew level but Southport displayed good character to earn a point after falling behind.

Morgan, whose appointment as captain as confirmed this week, gave the Sandgrounders a deserved lead after a bright opening. Jack Sampson released Charles, who advanced down the right before sending a low ball in the area to Morgan.

The captain took a touch to set himself, before steering a shot past goalkeeper Cam Mason.

At that stage, the home team clearly had the upper hand. A corner from Brad Bauress was met by Josh Langley, allowing Jason Gilchrist to get a shot away but his effort was deflected over.

Sampson and Charles also had chances, while a number of openings were created by Southport, only for the final ball to be lacking.

The Sandgrounders also started the second half well but Curzon soon found their way back into the contest.

A cross from Connor Hughes drifted onto the crossbar, before the rebound fell to Adam Morgan, whose shot at the far post was stopped by goalkeeper Dan Hanford.

Ollie Crankshaw equalised for Curzon on 66 minutes, latching onto a through-ball from midfield, and the visitors went ahead when Ryan Brooke scored from close range after a high ball into the area.

Gilchrist dragged an angled shot wide as Southport looked to regain parity, which was achieved when Charles cut in from the right before steering a shot inside the near post.

David Morgan almost found a winner in stoppage time but goalkeeper Mason punched away his dipping shot from 25 yards.

Southport (4-4-2): Hanford, Richards, Langley (Priestley 90), Winnard, Ogle, Charles, Morgan, Wood, Bauress (Homson-Smith 90), Gilchrist, Sampson.
Subs not used: Tibbets, Mueller, Green.
Goals: Morgan 14, Charles 80.

Curzon Ashton (4-4-2): Mason, Baillie (Ali 58), Hunt, Shaw, McJannett, Crankshaw (Khoury 90), Guest, Rowney, Hughes, Brooke, Morgan (Cummins 88).
Subs not used: Fawns, Wall.
Goals: Crankshaw 66, Brooke 72.

Attendance: 580

Referee: Nat Cox

Report by Alan Jones

Previous REACTION | Watson After Curzon Ashton
Next PREVIEW | League Away, Cups Home