MATCH REPORT | Southport 1-2 York City

MATCH REPORT | Southport 1-2 York City

An an afternoon that started so well finished with a deep sense of frustration for Southport as they missed a series of chances and conceded a late goal to lose against York City.

Simon Heslop’s fine winning goal saw the visitors come from behind to take maximum points at the Merseyrail Community Stadium, leaving the Sandgrounders with nothing to show for their good work throughout the game.

When Dion Charles sent Southport into an early lead, it seemed that the platform had been laid for the home team to register a much-needed league win.

Such was the extent of the Sandgrounders’ dominance in the opening half an hour that they could easily have been several goals to the good before the possibility of a York comeback had even got off the ground.

Instead, all their good football and encouraging approach play could not be translated into points, Southport were left to count the cost of their missed chances in the most frustrating way possible.

Having conceded an equaliser two minutes from the end of a first half they dominated, the Sandgrounders slipped to defeat when Heslop unleashed a thunderbolt as full-time beckoned.

Manager Liam Watson said it was perhaps his team’s brightest performance of the season so far, as they controlled possession, stretched their opponents and worked their way into a number of good positions.

Yet whereas York took two of the few chances that came their way, Southport were left to reflect on the many that passed them by.

For much of the first half it was one-way traffic in favour of the Sandgrounders, whose reward for a bold start was an opener on seven minutes, scored from the penalty spot by Charles after David Morgan was felled by goalkeeper Adam Bartlett.

And the home team continued their commitment to attack, Charles bursting through the York defence before directing a shot wide, while Brad Bauress failed to make the most of the space he found at the far post and Morgan also went close.

Despite Southport’s superiority against the team positioned eighth in the Vanarama National League North, Jordan Burrow drew York level shortly before the interval, firing in the loose ball after a fine double save from goalkeeper Dan Hanford.

Southport created further chances after the break and Charles should have added to his tally, twice working himself into space but having seemingly done the hard work on both occasions he shot over.

Morgan almost found the target in spectacular style, lining up a volley which dipped narrowly wide.

Yet instead it was the visitors who produced a fantastic winner, Heslop completing the turnaround for with a thumping 25-yard drive which went in off the underside of the crossbar to leave deflated.


Southport (4-2-3-1): Hanford, Richards, Winnard, Astles, Ogle, Morgan, Lynch, Charles, Bosma (Green 55), Bauress (Gilchrist 86), Sampson.
Subs not used: Homson-Smith, Mueller, Langley.
Goal: Charles 7 (pen)

York City (3-5-2): Bartlett, Law, Bencherif, Newton, Dyer (Parkin 68), Heslop, Penn, Harris, Ferguson (Allan 33), Burrow, Wright (Langstaff 54).
Subs not used: Moke, Whitley.
Goals: Burrow 43, Heslop 83

Attendance: 1,149

Referee: Elliot Swallow

Report by Alan Jones

Previous REACTION | Watson After York
Next REMINDER | Emirates FA Cup Tickets