MATCH REPORT | Southport 1-1 Spennymoor Town

MATCH REPORT | Southport 1-1 Spennymoor Town

A stoppage time equaliser from Glen Taylor denied Southport maximum points at home to Spennymoor Town.

For a large part of this game, it seemed that Ryan Astles’ first-half header was going to be enough to earn the Sandgrounders their first home win of the season.

Having played on the front foot from the start and been lifted by their early goal, Southport will have been pleased by their level of performance and the organisation displayed when under pressure in the closing stages.

Yet just when it seemed that the Sandgrounders were closing in on victory, Tuner pounced in the fourth minute of stoppage time as their start to the campaign continues to be punctuated by frustration.

Overall, there was reason for Southport to be upbeat. Having struggled for form during the opening games of the season, Astles’ powerful header, putting the home team in front on 17 minutes, gave them the platform to push on and the confidence to create chances.

At that stage, Southport were probably putting together their best football of the season so far and there was the sort of purpose to their play that has been difficult to come by in recent games.

Had the Sandgrounders been able to add to their lead, they would surely have been able to see the game out but a second goal proved elusive.

His goal aside, Astles was excellent, turning in a dominant performance in the centre of the Southport defence and relishing the physical battle with Taylor, one of the leading strikers in the Vanarama National League North.

It was with his second goal in as many home games that Astles put Southport in front, meeting a corner from Elliot Osborne with a thumping header in the centre of the area.

The Sandgrounders looked to push on and Osborne was heavily involved, delivering a cross for Jason Gilchrist to head wide before his shot was blocked after Dion Charles had raced down the left and played a pass inside to Jack Sampson to lay the ball off.

Charles also played a prominent part in Southport’s attacking play and, as the home team broke again, he exchanged passes with Osborne, who placed an effort narrowly wide.

Osborne’s delivery from set-plays was good throughout and, five minutes after half-time, he played in another corner which was met by the head of Astles and touched wide by Sampson.

Yet as the second half went on, Spennymoor began to exert more influence. Dan Hanford had already made a fine save midway through the first half to deny Jamie Chandler with his foot and the Southport goalkeeper excelled again on 72 minutes, turning wide a free-kick from Shane Henry, who took aim from 30 yards.

Southport must have thought they would escape with maximum points when Kris Thackray crashed a shot onto the crossbar before the ball rebounded against the back of Hanford and away to safety, but they could not prevent the equaliser, Taylor getting his head to hanging cross from Ryan Hall with seconds to play.


Southport (4-4-2): Hanford, Richards, Langley, Astles, Ogle, Osborne, Morgan, Lynch, Charles (Phenix 89), Gilchrist (Bauress 76), Sampson.
Subs not used: Mueller, Priestley, Green.
Goal: Astles 17

Spennymoor Town (4-2-3-1): Gould, Hibbs, Curtis, Atkinson (Thackray 59), Brogan (Hall 76), Chandler, Henry, Tuton, Ramshaw, Johnson (Boyes 89), Taylor.
Subs not used: Elliott, Hayes.
Goal: Taylor 90+4

Attendance: 821

Referee: James Bell

Report by Alan Jones

Previous REACTION | Watson & Astles After Spennymoor
Next MATCHDAY LIVE | Marine v Southport - FA Youth Cup