MATCH REPORT | Southport 0-4 Telford United
Jan 27, 2019 991 Views

MATCH REPORT | Southport 0-4 Telford United

AFC Telford United secured a convincing win at the Merseyrail Community Stadium, bringing to an end Southport’s six-game home unbeaten run.

Jon Royle, Marcus Dinanga, Daniel Udoh and Ellis Deeney were all on the scoresheet, contributing to a disappointing afternoon for the hosts.

Two goals in the first half and two in the second sent the Bucks back to the New Bucks Head with all three points.

Southport needed to dust themselves off after an unfortunate 1-0 away defeat to Altrincham, the previous weekend.

They had to do with a makeshift back four of Jordan Richards, Andy Parry, Reagan Ogle and Brad Bauress following the injury to Dean Winnard and the suspension of Liam Edwards, seven days prior.

Liam Watson’s side started off strong in the opening 10, enjoying a lot of pressure with box wingers causing problems for the Telford full-backs.

Shortly before the half hour mark, the deadlock was broken. After a brief spell of pressure, Gavin Cowan’s side were in front.

Dan Hanford denied Marcus Dinanga shot after Ryan Barnett’s pull-back from the byline, but Royle was on hand to fire into bottom left corner.

Moments later, the visitors had their celebrations cancelled out by the assistant referee. Dinanga poked home from Brendan Daniels’ drilled cross but the linesman on the near side ruled the strike offside.

Port coming close to drawing level through Dion Charles, the winger cut onto his right foot but couldn’t direct his effort on target.

Shortly before the break, the visitors doubled their lead. The Telford striker, Dinanga, tapped home from Barnett’s in-swinging delivery after Port failed to clear their lines.

Searching for a route into the game, Southport had two chances in quick succession to get back into the match.

Southport top-scorer, Jack Sampson, came close with his header only to see his header sail wide.

Sponsors’ man of the match, Devarn Green, then stung the palms of Josef Bursik after bursting past three Telford defenders only to see his venomous right-footed strike denied by the shot-stopper.

Shortly after the break, the travelling Buck fans were sent into raptures once again. Daniel Udoh’s strike nestled in at the near post after deflecting off Reagan Ogle.

Rowan’s side were showing no sign of slowing, Dinanga worked the ball to James McQuilkin on the edge of the box, but the Telford midfielder failed to trouble the Port ‘keeper.

As the game edged towards conclusion, Telford got their fourth, Ellis Deeney with the pick of the goals.  Receiving the ball on the edge of the box, taking one-touch inside and expertly finding the far-right corner past the outstretched Hanford.


Southport (4-4-2): Hanford, Richards, Parry, Ogle, Bauress, Green (Homson-Smith 87), Morgan, Wood, Charles (Gilchrist 57), Archer (Lacey 52), Sampson.
Subs not used: Tibbetts, Davies.

AFC Telford United (4-3-1-2): Bursik, White, Sutton, Morley, Daniels (Cowans 71), Barnett, Royle, Deeney, McQuilkin, Dinanga (Lilly 74), Udoh (Morgan-Smith 69).
Subs not used: Wycherley, Brown.

Attendance: 1,052

Referee: Paul Brown

Report by Stephen Killen (@SteKillenBL)

Previous REACTION | Watson After Telford
Next EVENT | Sporting Dinner 2019