MATCH REPORT | Southport 0-1 Blyth Spartans
Oct 28, 2018 1137 Views

MATCH REPORT | Southport 0-1 Blyth Spartans

Robbie Dale scored the only goal as Southport were beaten at home by Blyth Spartans.

Despite progress in the Emirates FA Cup, the Sandgrounders continue to find results in the Vanarama National League difficult to come by.

Although they began the game well, Southport were again made to pay for a series of missed chances, Dale scoring the only goal seven minutes after half-time directly from a corner.

The Sandgrounders are back at home on Tuesday night against Curzon Ashton and they will know how important it is to respond quickly and lift themselves from the foot of the National League North table.

Things could have been different had the home team taken any of the chances they carved out in the early stages.

This was an important game, Blyth beginning the afternoon three points ahead of Liam Watson’s team, and the start from the Sandgrounders was bright.

Charles was thwarted by goalkeeper Peter Jameson inside the first minute and that set the tone for a large part of the first half.

Charles later curled a shot narrowly wide from edge of the area after good approach play involving Reagan Ogle, while David Morgan went close from distance and Dean Winnard was just unable to connect with a free-kick from Jordan Richards.

In Blyth’s first moment of danger, Dan Maguire broke into the Port area before drawing a low save from goalkeeper Dan Hanford, and it served as a reminder that the home team needed to take a chance.

That moment looked to have arrived shortly after the re-start when Charles found himself through on goal but hesitated, allowing goalkeeper Jameson to make a save.

And within two minutes, Blyth found the only goal, Dale floating a high corner into the area, dipping under the Southport crossbar and into the goal.

The Sandgrounders tried to vary their attacking play, introducing Jason Gilchrist and Morgan Homson-Smith, but still they were unable to find a way through.

Marcus Wood, making his debut in central midfield after joining on loan from Bolton Wanderers, twice had a shot, the second of which was deflected wide and from the resulting corner, Jameson saved again, this time from Ryan Astles.

Morgan was also denied by the Blyth goalkeeper, who clawed away a fine effort from 20 yards, and after two chances at the other end for Maguire, Gilchrist found space in the area in added time only to slide a shot wide, leaving Southport to reflect on another frustrating afternoon.


Southport (4-4-2): Hanford, Richards, Winnard, Astles, Ogle, Green (Gilchrist 57), Morgan, Wood, Bauress (Homson-Smith 71), Charles, Sampson.
Subs not used: Tibbetts, Mueller, Langley.

Blyth Spartans (4-4-2): Jameson, Cunningham, Buddle, Watson, Liddle, Wrightson (Rivers 67), Oliver, Mullen, Dale, Maguire (Fewster 86), Reid (Green 75).
Subs not used: Watson, Skirpan.
Goal: Dale 52

Attendance: 820

Referee: Michael Barlow

Report by Alan Jones

Previous REACTION | Watson After Blyth
Next ANNOUNCEMENT | New Club Captain