MATCH REPORT | Southport 0-0 Chester – FA Trophy
Nov 25, 2018 1052 Views

MATCH REPORT | Southport 0-0 Chester – FA Trophy

Southport and Chester will replay for a place in the Buildbase FA Trophy first round after playing out a stalemate at the Merseyrail Community Stadium.

Both teams will feature in Monday’s draw live on talkSPORT 2 at 2.30pm before meeting again at the Swansway Chester Stadium on Tuesday.

A game short of quality produced few incidents of note, meaning the sides could not be separated after 90 minutes.

If either team was going find a winner by the end, it was probably Southport. If Chester had shaded the first half, then the home team certainly showed the greater purpose as the game went on but they were unable to translate it into a goal.

The result brings to an end Southport’s five-game winning run but another clean sheet reflects the clear level of improvement, conceding only twice in six games and extending their unbeaten sequence to seven.

The closest either side came to a deciding goal was on 73 minutes, substitute Devarn Green beating Simon Grand with an excellent show of footwork before playing in Dion Charles, whose shot drew an acrobatic save from goalkeeper Grant Shenton.

Dan Mooney also had a late chance for Chester, turning on the edge of the area before curling a shot over but, as Watson reflected, neither team really merited a goal.

Tuesday’s replay makes it a big week of knock-out football for the Sandgrounders, with their Emirates FA Cup second round tie at Tranmere Rovers to follow on Sunday.

Dion Charles looked to have escaped with a strong run down the right during the early stages but was stopped by a sliding challenge from Grand and that was typical as the teams cancelled each other out.

Charles did well again later in the half to work his way into the area but his low ball was saved by goalkeeper Shenton, while Jack Sampson shot wide after Marcus Wood had won the ball in midfield.

Anthony Dudley turned well on the edge of the Southport box before shooting wide, while Shenton also saved a long-range effort from Jordan Richards after the break.

That the Sandgrounders were never likely to concede was a reflection of another sound defensive performance, Ryan Astles replacing the injured Liam Edwards, who sustained a knock in the win at Boston United.

Watson expects Edwards and Jason Gilchrist to return for the visit to Tranmere and with Andy Parry also nearing match fitness, the composition of the squad is approaching the manager’s desired level.

For Southport to have matched a Chester team who occupy sixth place in the Vanarama National League North is again a mark of the progress being made and they will look to provide further evidence of those improvements during the coming week.


Southport (4-4-2): Hanford, Richards, Winnard, Astles, Ogle, Charles, Morgan, Wood, Bauress (Homson-Smith 68), Archer (Green 68), Sampson.
Subs not used: Tibetts, Mueller, Parry.

Chester (4-4-2): Shenton, Thomson, Livesey, Howson, Grand, Mooney, Roberts, Stopforth, Mahon (Jordan 89) Dudley, Dawson (Smalley 65).
Subs not used: Horan, Noble, Marsh-Hughes.

Attendance: 914

Referee: Paul Brown

Report by Alan Jones

Previous REACTION | Watson After Chester
Next UPDATE | Tuesday 27 November