MATCH REPORT | Hereford 0-3 Southport

MATCH REPORT | Hereford 0-3 Southport

The long journey to Edgar Street on a Tuesday night was certainly worth it for the Southport fans who completed the 280-mile round trip.

It may have been difficult to get there but on the pitch it was plain-sailing for the Sandgrounders as the commitment of the travelling supporters was rewarded in the best way possible.

Southport’s improved form continued with a hugely important victory which was earned in convincing style, taking them above Hereford in the Vanarama National League North table and giving the 30 away fans plenty to cheer.

This was the Sandgrounders’ fourth straight win in all competitions, scoring 15 goals in the process and conceding just one. As manager Liam Watson reflected, there is work still to do, but those statistics underline the progress he maintained would come to fruition.

Dion Charles and Dean Winnard scored in the first half before substitute Jordan Archer marked his league debut with a goal after the break, earning the visitors a win at a canter.

The opening goal came from a penalty which saw Danny Greenslade shown a straight red card for a foul on Brad Bauress, but at that stage Southport had already shown good purpose.

Hereford find themselves on a poor run of form and the Sandgrounders were able to go for the jugular.

The only disappointment for the visitors was the sight of Jason Gilchrist leaving the pitch during the first half with a hamstring strain. Watson thinks the striker should recover quickly and on in his place came Archer, who acquitted himself well, linking brilliantly with Jack Sampson for the third goal.

Charles put Southport in front on 23 minutes with a coolly-taken spot-kick after Bauress had shown an excellent touch to take down a cross-field ball before inducing the foul from Greenslade.

Charles had seen an earlier shot deflected wide and the visitors then took full control, the attacker drilling a ball across goal but Sampson was unable to finish at the far post.

The Sandgrounders’ lead was extended in added time, Winnard scoring his second goal in as many games with a turn and low shot from inside the Hereford area.

As the second half unfolded, the only question was how many Southport would score, Charles shooting over the crossbar before Archer was denied by goalkeeper Matt Yates after engineering space on the edge of the area.

Archer found the target on 67 minutes, dispatching a fine header after excellent work from Sampson in sending the ball across from the right.

In the space of ten days, Southport’s season has received a real shot in the arm and the manner of this performance should give them the confidence needed to make further progress.


Hereford (4-4-2): Yates, Thomas, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith, Greenslade, Finn (White 74), Murphy (O’Sullivan 77), Owen-Evans, McGrath, Roberts (Symons 57), Lloyd.
Subs not used: Richards, Wassell.

Southport (4-4-2): Hanford, Richards, Edwards, Winnard, Ogle, Charles, Morgan, Wood, Bauress (Davies 83), Sampson (Green 69), Gilchrist (Archer 38).
Subs not used: Homson-Smith, Langley.
Goals: Charles (pen) 23, Winnard 45+2, Archer 67.

Attendance: 1,512

Referee: Richard Gardner

Report by Alan Jones

Previous REACTION | Watson & Archer After Hereford
Next UPDATE | LFA Challenge Trophy