MATCH REPORT | Garstang 1-3 Southport – Lancs Challenge Trophy
Dec 20, 2018 1454 Views

MATCH REPORT | Garstang 1-3 Southport – Lancs Challenge Trophy

Dion Charles came off the bench to score two late goals and book Southport’s place in the Lancashire FA Partners Foundation Challenge Trophy semi-final.

Charles struck twice in the final ten minutes, restoring the lead which the visitors had taken at the start of the second half through Jordan Archer.

On a mudbath of a pitch which continued to cut up throughout the evening, the Sandgrounders were given a tough challenge by Garstang, their opponents from the North West Counties First Division, but in the end they got over the line.

Southport’s reward is a tie against Ashton Athletic in the last four at the Lancashire FA County Ground, due to be played on Wednesday February 27.

The visitors had started with intent, Archer placing an angled shot just past the far post before a low effort from Devarn Green was turned aside by goalkeeper Will Kitchen.

But the home side came back into the game as the half progressed, Dan Birch finding space on the edge of the area after a good move but he shot over.

Archer put the Sandgrounders in front nine minutes after the re-start, heading home from the centre of goal after Morgan Homson-Smith had hung a cross from the left.

Yet Garstang struck straight back, Ben Roberts applying an angled finish after the home team had worked the ball across the Southport area.

Garstang were reduced to ten men on 65 minutes when Tom Grham was shown a straight red card for a lunge on Devarn Green.

Charles was introduced as part of a double substitution with 20 minutes remaining and it paid dividends.

Having twice gone close, Charles put Southport ahead again by sliding home a low finish after receiving the ball from Homson-Smith, who turned well before advancing down the left.

And Charles added Southport’s third soon after, cutting inside before steering a shot into the top corner.

Southport (4-4-2): Tibbetts, Ogle (Richards 82), Parry, Astles, Mueller, Green, Davies, Wood (Morgan 70), Homson-Smith, Gilchrist (Charles 70), Archer.
Subs not used: Winnard, Bauress.

Attendance: 120

Referee: Richard Aspinall

Report by Alan Jones

Previous Tranmere Home Programme
Next PREVIEW | Ashton Away