MATCH REPORT | Curzon Ashton 1-2 Southport – FA Cup
Oct 7, 2018 1559 Views

MATCH REPORT | Curzon Ashton 1-2 Southport – FA Cup

Dion Charles and Jack Sampson scored either side of half-time to book Southport’s passage into the draw for the Emirates FA Cup fourth round qualifying with victory at Curzon Ashton.

In the end, the scoreline should have been more comfortable, but having found wins difficult to come by so far this season, the Sandgrounders left the Tameside Stadium with reason to be pleased with their afternoon’s work.

Two games in the FA Cup have produced two wins for Liam Watson’s team, and the level of the performance here represented the perfect response to their defeat at Brackley Town the previous weekend.

The draw for the next round takes place on Monday at 12pm live on talkSPORT 2.

The Sandgrounders enjoyed the better of the first half and the opening goal from Charles, scored two minutes into added time before the interval, provided the visitors with the platform needed to secure a deserved win.

There was much to admire about Southport’s football for large parts of the game, forcing the issue and applying good pressure to the Curzon defence, and their football at the start of the second period, which saw Sampson extended the lead, was particularly encouraging.

The opening goal from Charles came just before half-time, taking a through-ball from Brad Bauress in his stride before breaking into the area and, as the angle opened up, he slid a measured finish across goalkeeper Cameron Mason and into the bottom right-hand corner.

Southport’s intent from the start had been good, Ryan Astles meeting a corner from Jordan Richards with a header that was stopped on the goal-line by Chris Rowney, while Sampson had a shot blocked by defender Mohamud Ali after linking well with Charles.

Adam Morgan was inside his own half when he tried to lift a shot audaciously into the Southport goal but could only send the ball over the crossbar. The Curzon striker also drew a fine save from goalkeeper Dan Hanford at the end of a neat move involving Mason Fawns and Niall Cummins.

Yet it was the Sandgrounders who were responsible for the better football and, once in front, they saw out the result with good authority.

The finish from Sampson to increase the visitors’ lead on 58 minutes was classy, receiving a pass from Richards after a run down the right from the full-back, before guiding a diagonal first-time shot across Ben Purdham, the replacement goalkeeper, with his left foot.

Charles was at the centre of Southport’s good play and he continued to cause problems, while David Morgan, Richards and Astles, heading over from a Devarn Green cross, all had chances.

Adam Morgan gave Curzon hope with an excellent curling shot and even though 19 minutes remained when he found the target, this was a good win for Southport which never seemed in doubt.


Curzon Ashton: Mason (Purdham 46), Ali, Hunt, McJannet, Guest, Morton (Baillie 45), Rowney, Marshall, Morgan, Fawns, Cummins (Brooke 46).
Subs not used: Crankshaw, Hughes, Shaw, Samizadeh.

Southport: Hanford, Richards, Winnard, Astles, Ogle, Morgan, Lynch, Charles, Green (Homson-Smith 85), Bauress, Sampson.
Subs not used: Kinsella, Gilchrist, Phenix, Parry, Mueller, Langley.

Previous REACTION | Watson & Lynch After Curzon Ashton
Next FA CUP DRAW | Robins Return