MATCH REPORT | Archer Brace Beats The Blues

MATCH REPORT | Archer Brace Beats The Blues

Southport sealed a place into their second final of the season with a 3-1 win over Rylands FC, thanks to a Jordan Archer brace and Morgan Homson-Smith’s free-kick.

Port came from a goal behind to beat the Blues in the Liverpool County FA Senior Cup semi-final.

Both sides went in at the break level but it was Stuart Wellstead who broke the deadlock for the Blues after just 12 minutes before Archer equalised seven minutes later.

It was a cold, windy night at Gorsey Lane and thanks to the hard-work of the groundsmen, they got the pitch into a playable condition which passed the 4:30pm pitch inspection.

The Hallmark Security League First Division South league leaders started brightly and soon got a reward for their early pressure when Wellstead stabbed home from Stephen Boothman’s deep free-kick.

Falling behind was a wake up for the Yellows. They pushed forward, looking to break through the resilient hosts and were soon back level. Archer sprung the offside trap and poked home past the emerging Graeme McCall.

Port continued to push for the lead in the first half, Dion Charles, Archer and Matthew Platt all coming close but failing to make the net bulge.

Both teams had 45 minutes to secure their place in the final, Southport pushing for their first final since 2017 with the Blues eyeing history, looking to be the first Warrington-based side to make a Liverpool Senior Cup final.

Jordan Archer pounces on a defensive mistake, vs Rylands. (12/03/19) © Julia Urwin

With the game edging closer towards penalties, Liam Moran foolishly pulled back Charles in a dangerous area. Morgan Homson-Smith stepped up and curled his left-footed free-kick into the top-right corner.

Minutes before the end, Tony Sayer failed to deal with a punt forward, Archer leapt onto the mistake and fired underneath McCall.

As the clocked ticked down, Rylands pressed for an avenue back into the tie. They were soon given a life-line as a penalty was awarded after Port goalkeeper Joshua Tibbetts was penalised for unfairly challenging the Rylands goal scorer.

Stephen Boothman stepped up only to be denied by a fine right-handed save from Tibbetts.

Report by Stephen Killen

Previous MATCHDAY LIVE | Rylands vs Southport - Liverpool Senior Cup Semi-Final
Next LOAN EXTENSION | Matthew Platt