Rest In Peace Eddie Moss & Steve Ingle

Eddie Moss who died yesterday was one of my first footballing heroes. Perhaps it was his dark curly hair and boyish good looks or the fact that he hailed from Skelmersdale (which meant he was almost a local in my eyes) or most likely that he was the side’s top goal scorer that made him favourite of  mine.

Eddie is pictured above in the centre alongside Geoff Wilde and his son.

Eddie MossEddie who was 81 years started with Skelmersdale schoolboys and was selected to play for the Lancashire County team. He joined Everton on leaving school and was chosen for the Liverpool F.A.Youth team that played in Ireland. At that time he was a centre-forward but on being released by Everton he joined Skelmersdale United where he developed as an inside forward turning part time professional with them. After some good displays in the Lancashire Combination he attracted the attention of Liverpool who paid Skem a fee of £500. Eddie graduated into their Central League side whilst at Anfield but was handicapped by a back injury.

Signed by Wally Fielding in July 1959 Eddie, playing at inside-right, was top goal scorer in his first season at Haig Avenue with twelve goals in thirty-nine League games. His most significant achievement was the 65th minute winner at Oldham to give Southport their first away win in 46 games. The following season he had  fewer opportunities when first Ken Booth and later Johnny Fielding were preferred but he made a further 15 League appearances scoring goals including one against Hartlepools United in what was a then record equalling 5-1 away win in December 1960.

Released at the end of the season he joined Runcorn in the Cheshire County League giving them eight years splendid service and he was considered “a legend” by the Linnets fans. He made a return visit to Haig Avenue in the Second round F.A. Cup tie before more than 13,000 spectators which Southport won 4-2.  He finished his career with spells at Altrincham and Kirkby Town.

Eddie Moss at the 2019 Hall of Fame Ceremony
Eddie Moss at the 2019 Hall of Fame Ceremony

Eddie, who also enjoyed a game of cricket in his younger days, went into the family coal business until selling out to his brother in 1983 and thereafter took a pub in Skelmersdale.

Although Eddie had been in poor health for some time,  he nevertheless attended a match at Haig Avenue when he was photographed with Sam Shrouder as well as the’ Hall of Fame Class of 2019’  in November  2019. He brought along not only his wife Glenys and daughter Vickie but also his scrapbook together with a host of happy memories of playing for Southport Football Club sixty years earlier.

Our thoughts are with wife Glenys, daughter Vickie and son Michael at this difficult time.

Steve Ingle

The news has also just been received of the death of Steve Ingle who died in South Africa on 16th December of Coronavirus aged 74. Although Steve played in just two League games for Southport – their first two games back in the Third Division, at the beginning of the 1973-74 season –  I have vivid memories of this tenacious, fearless defender playing against us for Bradford City, Southend, Wrexham and Stockport County.

Steve IngleBorn in Manningham, Bradford, Stephen Paul Ingle made his debut for Bradford City as a 17 year old. I first saw him playing for the Bradford City team when his over robust  tackling of Ron Smith incurred the wrath of the crowd and resulted in a supporter on the Popular Side climbing over the barrier to remonstrate with him. This is one of only two occasions I have seen this happen at Haig Avenue. Steve was transferred to Southend United and when their Manager, Alvin Williams, was appointed by Wrexham, Steve was one of  a number of  players to join him at the Racecourse (Tony Beanland was another). Steve spent five seasons at Wrexham where he is still fondly remembered. Jimmy Meadows signed him from Stockport County on a three month trial and after leaving Haig Avenue Steve concluded his League career at Darlington having made almost 300 Football League appearances. .

Steve was married to Jean (nee Mitchell) in Bradford when they were both 18 years of age. He emigrated to South Africa in 1974 where he briefly played with Peter Withe, another old Southport player at Arcadia Shepherds until 1976. In 1980 he turned out for a Bobby Charlton’s International XI in South Africa.

Divorced, he re-married whilst living in Pretoria and was a technician for elevator companies Otis and Schindler. In 1995 he suffered serious injuries to his ribs and legs after he plunged four floors down a lift shaft  and spent six months in hospital but such was his indomitable spirit that he made a good recovery.

Steve leaves a widow Alfie, three sons Steve, Garth and Mark (from his previous marriage) and three grandchildren.

Thank you to Michael Braham for these obituaries and to Dan Hayes from Port Online.


Vanarama Clips

League Table

View Full League Table