Allan Parkinson Rest In Peace

The last remaining link of the Southport Football Club side, which challenged strongly for promotion to the Second Division and went nineteen games undefeated in 1955-56 season, has been severed following the death of Allan Arnold Parkinson, who passed away on 17th March, aged 90.

A former Captain of West Lancashire schoolboys this solid, red haired defender joined Southport as an Amateur from Leyland Motors in March 1953 and after only five Lancashire Combination games was signed as a part-time professional the following August. Allan (or “Parky” as he was known at Haig Avenue) only made two League appearances in his first two seasons with the Club. However, he impressed when he took over from Terry Reilly making 43 appearances in 1955/56 season when Southport made a bold bid for promotion to the Second Division. He appeared in each one of Southport’s undefeated League games between 16th October 1955 and 3rd March 1956.

He began that season at left-back but when centre-half Alf Barratt was injured Wally Taylor replaced Barratt and Allan switched to right-back.

A strong, dependable defender, Allan will be remembered by longstanding supporters for his trademark sliding tackles. He gave Southport loyal service remaining a part-time player during his six seasons at Haig Avenue. A tremendous worker and an ideal clubman, he was appointed Reserve team Captain in 1958-59 becoming the only player in the club’s history to exceed 100 appearances in both the Football League and Lancashire Combination.  Allan received a well-deserved benefit in April 1959 when a team of All Stars largely composed of Blackpool and Burnley players turned out to support him.

Although retained for 1959/60 season Allan joined the newly formed Wigan Rovers. Whilst playing for the Rovers in the Cheshire County League he scored a rare goal after moving onto the wing following injury. More surprisingly (he was never a dirty player) was when he was sent off on Good Friday 1960 at Wrexham. After a couple of seasons at Netherfield Allan managed his local sides Walmer Bridge and Longton Arms.

Allan was a popular attendee at each of Southport FC reunions and accompanied the Club’s Vice Presidents on their Coach to Wembley for the FA Trophy Final in 1998.

Allan lived in Longton becoming a successful businessman. He founded AA Packaging in 1981, based at Walmer Bridge, which became one of the Country’s leading suppliers of flexible packaging film.

Alan was married to Agnes (nee Haines) for 66 years. His wedding took place at Longton Methodist Church on 12th October 1957 after which Alan left the reception to play for the Reserves at Burscough while his ‘Best Man’ Eric Parkinson (no relation) played for the first team against Stockport County.

Allan is survived by his widow Agnes, children, Jill, and David and three grandchildren. His funeral will take place at St Andrews Church , C of E, Longton on Wednesday, 27th March at 2pm.

Michael Braham


League Table

View Full League Table